YCombinator Startup School 2008
Startup school, a yearly conference sponsored by Y combinator and Bases (Standford) aims to share knowledge and train young entrepreneurs by hosting talks by experienced people. Y combinator also offers entrepreneurs early stage seed funding. The most famous of these projects that have spun out of Ycombinator are scribd & reddit.
This year the conference featured talks from
- Jeff Bozos (Amazon)
- Marc Andreesson ( Founder, Ning, Opsware, Netscape; Creator of Mosaic)
- Sam Altman (Founder, Loopt)
- Michael Arrington (Editor, TechCrunch)
- Paul Buchheit (Founder, FriendFeed; Creator of GMail)
- Paul Graham (Partner, Y Combinator; Founder, Viaweb)
- David Heinemeier Hansson (Creator of Rails; Partner, 37Signals)
- David Lawee (VP of Corporate Development, Google; Founder, Xfire)
- Jack Sheridan (Partner, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati)
- Greg McAdoo (Partner, Sequoia Capital)
- Peter Norvig (Director of Research, Google)
Starting today StartUp Africa will feature each of the talks from this conference including the key takeaways and points. The YCombinator concept is a brilliant idea to stimulate entrepreneurship amongst youth and i believe we need something similar in Africa. Mfonobong Nsehe makes a valid point at American chronicle, there is not enough funding for African youth and we may never see a Google, Microsoft, Yahoo or Facebook coming from here. Stay tuned for something more.