Startup School 08, Start a business (David Heinemeier Hansson)
In a talk called the secret to making money online David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of the Ruby on Rails framework and Partner at 37Signals gives insight into creating a profitable startup company.
Key Takeaways and Notes
- The secret to making money online is pretty simple, you charge a price.
- Entrepreneurs all want to be the next youtube or facebook, but the chances of that happening are slim
- They have a better chance if they actually start a business and concentrate on paying customers.
- There are several ways you can charge a price (Monthly, Pay per event such as per email/fax)
- Concentrate on other business, the Small to Medium Enterprise (SME), as he calls them the fortune 5,000,000.
- Getting consumers to pay for services online is difficult therefore startups should concentrate on other businesses.
- Focus on solving problems that you yourself face as a business, most likely other companies out there are facing similar problems.